Thursday, March 27, 2014

Thirsty Thursdays: London Fog Tea Latte


It wasn't until recently (okay a year and a half ago) that I discovered the best tea latte ever- the London Fog. I was in university and so like most university students helped to keep the local Tim Horton's and Starbucks in business. I drank coffee like it was going out of style. I started to develop headaches after drinking certain coffees and so decided to switch to tea. Usually I just got a Green Tea with milk and sugar (or honey). That is until one day my friend ordered a London Fog and then exclaimed "OMG this tastes like a Fruit Loop!". I decided that the next time I was at Starbucks I would order a London Fog and taste this Fruit Loop drink. Ever since then I have been hooked!


Starbucks has since changed the name of their London Fog to an Earl Grey Latte but its still the same thing- vanilla, sugar, Earl Grey tea. I was at home one night and it was super late but I was craving a London Fog. I knew that Starbucks wouldn't be open at that hour and so was trying to figure out whether I could make a London Fog at home- it turns out you can!

The original recipe I made was from a website that I can't remember the name of. I didn't have the vanilla syrup that Starbucks uses and so had to find a recipe that used vanilla extract instead. It was so yummy!!!! It was the perfect blend of vanilla and Earl Grey tea. I was so excited that I had found this absolutely amazing tea latte! It was even better that I could make it at home!!!!!

London Fog Recipe

Ingredients

1 cup Earl Grey Tea (brewed)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Sugar (to taste)
4 oz Milk (heated and frothed)

Directions

1. Brew the Earl Grey tea to taste (I like to heat the water to 100 C and steep the tea for 5 minutes)
2. Add the vanilla extract and sugar
3. Heat the milk and forth
4. Pour the frothed milk on top of the tea
5. ENJOY!

I told everyone who was willing to listen about this amazing tea. One day one of my best friends told me that she had a London Fog tea latte from Starbucks and that she liked it a lot. I then told her all about the homemade version and she immediately texted me back saying "OMG I LOVE YOU! THIS IS THE BEST TEA EVER!". For my birthday this past year she got me a package of Ear Grey Tea from David's Tea and Starbucks Vanilla Syrup. I was in heaven! I immediately started to try different combinations to find my perfect London Fog Tea Latte.

London Fog Tea Latte Recipe

Ingredients

1 cup Earl Grey Tea (brewed) 
2 tbsp. Vanilla Syrup
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
4 oz Milk (heated and frothed)

Directions

1. Brew the Earl Grey tea to taste (I like to heat the water to 100 C and steep the tea for 5 minutes)
2. Add the vanilla syrup and the vanilla extract
3. Heat the milk and forth
4. Pour the frothed milk on top of the tea
5. ENJOY!

I add the vanilla extract because I like to have a more defined vanilla taste in my London Fog's. This definitely is a tea I will be making for quite some time. It is the perfect tea to have after a long day. I'm sure it would be nice spiked with a little something, something also! ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment