Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Recipe Review: Brown Butter Mashed Potatoes from Michael Smith

My husband and I have become addicted to watching The Food Network. We love watching the chef's and cooks make amazing food and then plate it really nicely. My husband was not much of a cook before he met me, but now both of us love finding new and interesting recipes and cooking them together. We have an insane number of cookbooks and still scour the internet for more recipes.

One chef that my husband has absolutely fallen in love with is Michael Smith. I don't know if its because Michael likes to use bacon or because everything he cooks has tons of flavor. My husband is all about bacon and flavor. Whatever it is, I don't really care, because I have now fallen for Michael Smith also.

The other day we decided to just have a simple dinner and so we made Bangers and Mash. For those of you who aren't familiar with this, all Bangers and Mash is, is sausages with mashed potatoes. The first thing my husband asked me when I said we would have Bangers and Mash was- "Are we doing Brown Butter Mashed Potatoes?" I couldn't say no. We got Garlic sausages and started dinner. Thank heavens we made those mashed potatoes because the garlic sausages were absolutely tasteless. The mashed potatoes saved the night- they were flavourful and sooooooo delicious!

Brown Butter Mashed Potatoes

(Original Recipe from Michael Smith)

Ingredients

4 large unpeeled potatoes
1/2 cup unsalted Butter
1 tsp nutmeg
Sprinkle of Sea Salt
Pinch of Pepper

Directions

1. Cut the potatoes into large chunks and boil them until tender. Drain
2. Place a saucepan over medium heat and add the butter. Heat and melt the butter. Make sure to keep a close eye on it and continue swirling it gently. Watch the colour. When it turns golden brown and smells of toasting melts immediately remove it from heat. Pour the melted butter into a bowl to lower its temperature and to stop the browning process.
3. When the potatoes are tender, mash them with the brown butter, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Taste and season accordingly.
4. Serve.

This recipe is simple and tastes delicious. I enjoy serving these potatoes not only to the family but also to company. The nutmeg can be adjusted to taste- I know my husband loved nutmeg and so puts a lot in. I, on the other hand, enjoy the taste, but don't love it and so only put in a little. This recipe really needs to be played with in order to find what works for your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment