Monday, November 4, 2013

French Onion Soup

Every Thursday my family has soup for dinner. Recently I've been trying out new soup recipes and have found some amazing ones. Last week, we decided that we wanted to try to make French Onion Soup. I went online and found this soup by Michael Smith. It sounded really good.


We questioned why a soup would need 12 onions, especially if it was only supposed to feed 4, and so initially decided to cut back the number of onions to 6 (I bought 6 extra onions just in case... I'm a very "just in case" kind of person, better safe than sorry!). Anyways, we started cutting up the onions and got all of the other ingredients ready. It was actually really simple to make and tasted delicious each time we tried it. We were almost ready to serve the soup and were just adding the sale, pepper, sherry vinegar, and thyme when things took a turn. My husband decided he wanted to help me, and so I asked him to collect these last few ingredients and put them in the soup. Well, my good old husband read the "1 tablespoon or so sherry vinegar" as "1/2 cup sherry"... so he put in 1/2 cup of sherry vinegar. OMG SOUR!!!! I tried to fix the soup by adding in more broth, but could only find beef broth. The soup turned out okay but it was much more sour than it should be. Needless to say, we are definitely trying this soup again... next time I am going to measure out the ingredients before hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment